Heavy metal wedding invitation printed on heavy metal. A match made in heaven, just like the happy couple.
One of the most creative letterpress wedding invitations I custom designed was for a couple who loved Metallica. These high school sweethearts were hosting a rockin’ 10-year anniversary party their way.
Metallica-style invitations were a must-have as they planned the party they always wanted (not the ones their parents wanted…you know how it goes).
The invitation set included:
- Custom logo
- Hand-made letterpress folder
- Invitation ticket with tear-off RSVP “ticket stub”
- Info card
- Inner envelope
- Outer envelope
Your concert ticket to a head-banging celebration
The couple who was all business by day, rockers by night, were free to be themselves and host a party of a lifetime. And they did!
To get everyone in the mood to party, I designed the invitation like a concert ticket. Starting with a logo of their names fashioned from the Metallica logo. This idea actually combined two designs directions I presented to the couple. They loved the black folder idea and the ticket and asked if I could mix them together. Yes!
The entire project was a great challenge because it mixed different types of production: letterpress printing, desktop printing, hand-made everything.
Using black paper and metallic ink was a refreshing change from the white-and-light wedding invitations.
The use of letterpress and calligraphy fonts made the event feel formal. The invite ticket and RSVP stub made it fun.
Letterpress wedding invitation details
- Outer envelope — A7, metallic silver ink on black paper
- Hand-made letterpress folder – 5″ x 7″ finish size; metallic silver ink on black paper; hand finishing: printed flat, hand cut, scored and assembled
- Letterpress panel invitation – Metallic silver on Crane’s Lettra 110# cover in pearl white; hand finishing: trimmed and hand mounted to folder
- RSVP and info “ticket” – Two-sided high-resolution inkjet printing on 110#inkjet card stock; hand finishing: hand trimmed, scored and perforated
- Inner envelope – A2, metallic silver ink on black paper
Encore of a lifetime
For the couple’s first child, they asked me to design a logo for their daughter Jayden using the Iron Maiden logo. They welcomed their sweet baby girl into their lives, announcing her arrival with a rockin’ design. Baby rocker isn’t just a chair anymore.